Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Ovary Removal is Great!

I had the surgery to remove my ovaries and uterus about a year and a half ago and I still feel amazingly better.

I had an ovarian disease along with a pituitary gland disease that was causing them to fight with each other and kill the rest of my endocrine system.

I was a little concerned to have my ovaries removed since I didn't want to go into menopause and was worried about hormone replacement therapy, but after talking with several of my friends who went through with the hysterectomy only to then have something go wrong with their ovaries and another operation, I decided to just have it all out.

I also decided to take the hormone replacement therapy so that I can have a shot at feeling better for the first time in the past 10 years or so.

My surgery was done laparoscopically with the Da Vinci robot, so I have about 4 small scars and one of them is in my belly button, where they pulled out the organs they were removing.

My doctor informed me after the surgery that I had terrible endometriosis and fibroids in my uterus, which just added to the suckage I was experiencing.

My recovery was about 3 weeks until I felt like myself and was able to be up and around comfortably, which was much faster than I was expecting and it was at 3 weeks that my doctor removed all physical restrictions...yeah!

I was sore as hell during the first week of recovery and I just laid in bed and took Vicodin and ate soft foods (which was really the worst part). The best part was that I had the surgery right before Thanksgiving and so I was able to watch super cheesy Hallmark Channel Christmas-themed romantic comedies, which was awesome!

I'm so different than I was for my kids entire lives that they keep talking about how much more fun I am now, which is bittersweet, but at least they get to see the good side of me.

I know that it's tired and cliche, but I feel like my old self and that I now have my life back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment